6/25/2013

Tobit 2:9-14

I got a comment saying, "My children also like the story of Tobit as well. We live in Denmark, and in the Dainsh Bible Tobit is not taking a bath, only washing - what a shame.". I got thinking that some people might be interested in the story of Tobit and the bath and so I am posting it...


I, Tobit, took a bath; then I went into the courtyard and lay down by the courtyard wall. Since it was hot I left my face uncovered. I did not know that there were sparrows in the wall above my head; their hot droppings fell into my eyes. White spots then formed, which I was obliged to have treated by the doctors. But the more ointments they tried me with, the more the spots blinded me, and in the end I became blind altogether. I remained without sight four years; all my brothers were distressed; and Ahikar provided for my upkeep for two years, till he left for Elymais.
My wife Anna then undertook woman’s work; she would spin wool and take cloth to weave; she used to deliver whatever had been ordered from her and then receive payment. Now on March the seventh she finished a piece of work and delivered it to her customers. They paid her all that was due, and into the bargain presented her with a kid for a meal. When the kid came into my house, it began to bleat. I called my wife and said, “Where does this creature come from? Suppose it has been stolen! Quick, let the owners have it back; we have no right to eat stolen goods.” She said, “No, it was a present given me over and above my wages.” I did not believe her, and told her to give it back to the owners (I blushed at this in her presence). Then she answered, “What about your own alms? What about your own good works? Everyone knows what return you had for them.”
That is TOBIT 2:9-14
I hope you enjoyed that!

No comments:

Post a Comment