6/24/2013

Benjamin Britten


Today for work we looked at the composer Benjamin Britten. He wrote really lovely music. His Simple Symphony is really bouncy and jolly. I think it might be some of my favourite music ever.


Mum says that she will hunt for a cd with some more of Benjamin Britten’s work on it because I like it so much.

Otis and Mack also like his music, but Luka is too little to enjoy it. He prefers music from stuff like Bob the Builder.

Benjamin Britten was born on November 22nd 1913 and died on December the 4th 1976. Which was not too long ago going to how old some composers are.

Benjamin used to play the piano as well as compose music and conduct music. He was very talented.
His birthday just so happens to be the feast day of Saint Cecilia, patron saint of music. It seems very appropriate that she became a composer.

Benjamin did not get music from his father. His father was a dentist (yuck). It was his mother who liked music. She sang and often held concerts in their house.
Benjamin’s first paying job was writing for films. He so I guess that means he was a composer all his working life.

To avoid the World War 2 Benjamin sailed out of England and into America, but soon came back and when the war was over he got asked to write an opera for the occasion. I think he also wrote one for Queen Elizabeth the second when she was crown Queen of England, but I am not sure.

As you can tell Benjamin Britten had a very interesting life. I have only listened to one piece of music by him, but it was a very good one.

Do you like Benjamin Britten?

12 comments:

  1. We have also studied Benjamin Britten. We like his music as well.
    Have you been on Classics for Kids website? It has some stuff on Benjamin Britten.
    Those are some really interesting facts on Benjamin Britten. Where did you get them all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have? I will have to check the site out. Mum will be very interested. She loves new sites.
      Mum found the facts on the internet and read them outloud to us. There were more, but I forget them.

      Delete
  2. Hannah,

    I enjoyed reading your post about Benjamin Britten. He was born in the same year as my grandmother!

    Sometimes we watch Youtube videos of our favourite composers' music. You might enjoy the Simple Symphony or the Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs Elvis,
      Was he really born in the same year as your grandmother? How special!
      I will surjest that to Mum. I am sure she will love it. Thank you so much.

      Delete
  3. Hi Hannah,

    You are the same age as my daughter Amelia.

    I have come here from Sue's blog. I am looking forward to reading your posts and getting to know you more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you for stopping and commenting. I now have quite a few followers.
      I will have to write another post.

      Delete
  4. My choir sings a lot of Benjamin Britten's work. It's really very beautiful music, though sometimes rather hard to sing. I'll have to go and listen to his Simple Symphony. I think I listened to some of it once, but it was a while ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sing in a choir? How lucky! I would love to. His music is really lovely, isn't it?
      Enjoy listening to the music!

      Delete
  5. I am not familiar with his work - I may have to "Google" him - perhaps there may be a clip of his music on YouTube or I tunes. I love soft piano or violin music. I also love to sing when I am happy! I've enjoyed reading a few of your posts. I'm signing up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like him! I like singing as well! Thank you for following! I willl have post again.

      Delete
  6. Are you homeschooled too Hannah? I homeschool my two daughters who are around your age in NZ and look forward to showing them your great blog in the morning. Keep up the great posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I haven't replyed. My newest post explains. I am very sorry.
      I am homeschooled and I love it an aweful lot. You live in NZ, wow! What is it like? I have always wanted to learn about it.
      Thank you I will keep writing.

      Delete